Sunday, October 30, 2011

Reflection

I must admit that in the beginning of the Learning Theories and Instruction course, I was not excited about learning about the various learning theories that I loathed to study in undergrad.  However, I have gained a great amount of knowledge about these theories, and I can now apply them to my current career as a middle school teacher, as well as the field of instructional design.  The knowledge of these theories provides explanation to how and why learning takes place in my classroom, as well a framework to build off to provide solutions for learning in case what I am doing is not working.   Without a clear understanding of the learning theories, I will not be able to reach students effectively with different learning styles and goals. 
I initially began this course viewing the learning theories as distinct bodies where the principles of one theory reigned supreme over another.  I found in my studies, however that these theories build off one another and they are best applied according to the desired learning goal.  Throughout this course, the attribute of learning that I found the most surprising was the effect of socialization on learning as explained by the social constructivist and social learning theory.   The cognitive learning theory explains how the brain works in storing, processing, and retrieving information to allow learning.  Humans have a time limit for short-term memory, and through chunking, rote rehearsal, and repetition of concepts we learn and retain information (Huitt, 2003).  Consistent with the cognitive theory, learning is gained from making inferences, expectations, using prior knowledge, and forming connections between ideas (Smith, 1999).  Surprisingly, I have learned (well it is my opinion) that these connections and inferences created in cognitive learning cannot be achieved without social influence. In reference to Beaumie Kim (2001), knowledge is socially and culturally constructed, and individuals create meaning through their interactions with each other and with the environment they live in.  Learning about this theory immediately brought an image of an early human learning initially learning the use of fire and passing on what he or she knew to others.  Those social interactions lead to more connections and discoveries that were passed down through generations. I agree with Mark Smith (1999) in his statement that “learning is in relationship between people and environment.”
This course has also allowed me to get an improved understanding of the differences in how I learn as an adult versus how my adolescent students learn.  The theories of cognitivism, behaviorism, and constructivism explain transference and learning of knowledge without regards to one’s age.  The adult learning theory explains how I currently learn and what factors affect me as a learner.  My prior knowledge, age, and experiences help determine my direction for learning.  Andragogy explains my self-directed nature as an adult.  I choose learning situations that will help further my career or meet goals.  I also have a better understanding of how being self-direct can be detrimental to learning; distractions and situations can impede is a progress and motivation.  (Conlan et al., 2003).
                Understanding learning styles is a key component in designing and implementing instruction.  Gilbert et al. (2008) theorize learners acquire and process information according to their learning styles; these styles may embody learning through hearing and seeing, reflecting and acting, reasoning logically and intuitively, and analyzing and visualization.  Educational technology allows learners to access large amounts of information and process it almost immediately, no matter the learning style (Semple, 2000).  Technologies allow learners to access resources and engage in various activities that can reach any learning style and fit any situation.  Motivation is nurtured through technology by fostering distance learning, social interactions, and resources. 
Knowledge of each learning theory provides instructional designers the tools to design instruction according to the needs of the learner.  Ertmer and Newby (1993) express that instructional designers have to be competent in recognizing problems in learning and instruction and proposing a solution; this task cannot be accomplished without an understanding of the human learning theories.   This course has helped me in my journey to becoming an instructional designer by forcing me to focus on the qualities of the adult learner in an online environment, the effects of learning style in various learning situations, and how we all influence each other’s learning socially. 
In the final analysis, understanding the purpose and use of learning theories provides a skeleton for me to build on as an instructional designer and as a teacher.  I have a valuable grasp on what strategies encourage learning in regards to learning style and situation.  I feel this course has provided a sturdy base for me to build upon as I pursue a career in the field of instructional design.
Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K.. (2003). Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <2011 October 5>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50–71.
Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C. (2008). Learning styles: How do they fluctuate? Institute for Learning Styles Journal [vol. l]. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf
Huitt, W. (2003). The information processing approach to cognition. Educational Psychology Interactive. Valdosta, GA: Valdosta State University. Retrieved [date] from, http://www.edpsycinteractive.org/topics/cognition/infoproc.html
Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <insert date>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt
Smith, M. K. (1999) 'The cognitive orientation to learning', the encyclopedia of informal education, www.infed.org/biblio/learning-cognitive

No comments:

Post a Comment