Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fitting the Pieces Together

My view of how one learns has morphed tremendously over the past seven weeks.  During my first week in the Learning Theories and Instruction Course at Walden University,  I had a narrow view on how others and I learn.  I initially categorized myself as a constructivist learner because I learn best by relating new information with experiences; however, after learning about the various learning theories, I become aware that learning is situational, and it would not be accurate to label myself because the way I learn based on context.   I understand what limitations I had learning as a child and the limitations that affect me as an adult.  On the word of Conlan et al. (2003), factors that influence my learning now are:
1.       Life experiences,
2.       Work experience,
3.       Cognitive abilities,
4.       Previous learning experiences, and
5.       Aging factors
The behaviorist theory best explains outward responses to stimuli, and the cognitive learning theory explains how I store and process information. Of course, the behaviorist theory and cognitive learning theory is as equally important in explaining how I learn, but I do not believe learning is possible without some influences of others. I feel that the learning strategies that support cognitive learning processes are necessary.  Concept mapping, comprehension checks, and semantic mapping are helping in organizing and storing information (Ormrod, et al., 2008).  Many of the theories, such as the Social Learning Theory, Constructivism, and Connectivism, seem to share similar ideas. All the learning theories discussed in this course can aid in describing how I learn, but the two that I feel has the greatest impact because they encompass the others are Social Constructivism and Connectivism.  I have learned that due to my zone of proximal development, social influences are crucial  in allowing learning opportunities.  Social interactions are critical, and knowledge is co-constructed between two or more people (Ormrod et. al, 2008).  In order for me to gain knowledge, I have to interact with others in some way whether it is printed works, conversation, or some other form of media. 
 Learning is maintained and nurtured through maintaining connections (Davis, et. al. 2008).  I have learned that my learning network is vast, yet it is facilitated through today’s available technology.  I am able to the connect with the work of experts on any given topic through the internet via my laptop, gaming, device, and mobile phone.  Videos, presentations, and other forms of media are a click away. Technology makes it easy for me to learn concepts that I don’t understand and teach my students; I rarely have to reinvent the wheel when designing lessons because teachers and experts in the field have created lessons and posted them online. 
My understanding of the way we learn has impacted my performance as a teacher, and I now pay close attention to what strategies I incorporate that will help my students learn.  I believe that these theories are necessary in being an effective instructional designer to be sure that students can apply new knowledge across contexts.

Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K.. (2003). Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <2011 October 09>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
Davis, C, Edmunds, E, & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <October 3, 2011>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.


No comments:

Post a Comment